Friday, February 27, 2009

My Girl Has Happy Feet

My roommate, Melissa, loves the movie, Happy Feet, and brought it back from Utah one weekend, hoping that I would watch it with her. I had remembered seeing Happy Feet previews a long time ago and seemed to remember it looking potentially cute and maybe even funny, so we sprawled out in her room to watch the movie. Forgive me for not conforming to P.C. standards, but this movie was gay. We didn't even finish it. Basically, it's a bunch of singing and dancing penguins. I don't know what I was expecting.


I think I would have liked this movie if I were six; however, I am nearly four times six, and I couldn't make it through.

Melissa was kind enough to turn it off so we could watch My Girl instead--a movie I hadn't seen since I was six, ironically enough--and it turns out I still enjoy it. If you haven't seen it, you really should take the time. It was filmed back when Macaulay Culkin was still a cute little boy. The main character is eleven-year-old Vada, who is being raised by her father (Dan Aykroyd) in a funeral home. Besides this unusual living situation, she feels responsible for the death of her mother, who died shortly after Vada was born, so it's no wonder that she always thinks she is dying of something. Her best friend, Thomas J. (Macaulay Culkin), says this is Vada's way of dealing with her fear of death. Jamie Lee Curtis is also a prominent character as the love interest of Vada's father. This movie is both funny and sad, and I love it.

2 comments:

  1. I have actually never seen either of those. I'd heard mixed reviews on Happy Feet, but I kind of wanted to see it anyway. Perhaps I won't... As for My Girl, I've heard that that is one I should see. I'll have to give that one a shot. Didn't they make a sequel to that one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they did, but I've never seen it.

    ReplyDelete