Thursday, March 5, 2009

Speak: a well crafted story on a sensitive subject


Speak
By Laurie Halse Anderson
c. 1999
pp. 240
-- Awards: National Book Award, Michael L. Printz Honor Book, SCBWI Golden Kite Award

-- Summary: As Melinda Sordino enters her first year of high school, she carries a burden that no one knows about. Everyone knows her as the girl who called the cops at the biggest party over the summer, but no one knows what really happened. Melinda was raped, and she can’t tell anyone. Sometimes it’s better not to say anything at all. Speak is the story of a ninth grade girl struggling to cope with what has happened with her, and learning to be herself as she was before.

-- My Thoughts: Very well written. I first read this book in the seventh grade. Back then, it, as I like to say, “scarred me for life.” To put simply, I was not ready for the subject material. However, I personally decided that I should read it again before I made a final judgment as I thought I may have been too sensitive for the book the first time I read it. I love the way Anderson wrote the book. It is wonderfully crafted and it sucks you in from the beginning. I also felt that the rape scene wasn’t too graphic, which is one of my main concerns from a novel with such subject matter. However, it still made me a little uncomfortable more because I had an understanding/connection with the character this time around. There were a couple other times in the book where it felt a little dark or awkward but it fits in with the situation that Melinda is in. Overall, I think it would be a great book especially for girls who have been in similar situations. I feel that Anderson's approach is one of the best ways of going about writing a book on this subject. If you are sensitive to such subject matter, this probably isn't the book for you. I still don't know if I can put it on my shelf because of those few moments that made me a little uncomfortable. But I cannot deny that it is wonderfully written and those few awkwards moments may actually be an example of how well Anderson pulls this off.

This book has also been turned into a movie starring Kirsten Stewart (you may know her better as Bella Swan from "Twilight")

3 comments:

  1. Gah! She is a terrible actor! I haven't read this book, but as far as making you feel uncomfortable, my guess is that was intentional, considering the topic. If it's about rape, it's probably not going to be a "feel good" book; however, there is a certain vitalness in writing about sensitive or controversial subjects rather than pretending those things don't exist and that everyone lives happily ever after. My favorite books are those that teach me in some way. If I am merely entertained, that's great, but not nearly as valuable as the creation of a new perspective, awareness, or even a solidifying of old ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To Quote Andy: "This book is Good."

    I read the book this summer. I will admit I saw the movie first. I got sick of all my Jane Austen movies and thought I would give it a try just because it was in my DVD case next to my desk... I actually really liked the movie. So I decided to read the book... which happened to be in my nightstand. I read it in one day which is a good sign I enjoyed the book.

    BTW..I disagree with you Megan. I thought Bella did a fantastic job at acting in this movie. It wasn't high quality and made me feel like I was watching lifetime movie network, but I think this role was perfect for her.

    That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm... I'll have to see the movie, but she is exactly the same in every movie I've seen her in, and I don't like her. But I'll still give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete