Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Tale of Desperaux: Movie Edition





I saw this movie on Tuesday, a rather stressful day. Part of me said I shouldn't go see it because of all the things I should be doing. But I gave in, and I have no regrets.


The movie is based of the book by Kate DiCamillo, author of "Because of Winn Dixie", "The Tiger Rising", and "The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane". The characters are voiced by Emma Watson (perhaps you know her best as Hermoine Granger), Matthew Broderick, Sigourney Weaver, Dustin Hoffman, Kevin Kline, and Christopher Lloyd to name a few.



I have not read the book so if you want any sort of comparison, you won't find it here at this time. The movie itself was entertaining. One of my roommates found it a little hard to follow as it does follow three different characters. However, I felt they did a good job of incorporating all the necessary stories into the whole. The characters were well created and believable, even if half of them were mice/rats. I even felt that the music was engaging and helped add to the story. They use a lot of narration which I am guessing is a lot like what is written in the book. I did begin to wonder if they had a little too much narration, but overall I liked the effect. It made it a little more enjoyable for me to hear some of that language. I guess that's an English major for you :) Overall, well done and I would recommend it.

The only thing you might have a problem with is a character formed of fruits and vegetables. That might be a little too much for some people. But give it a whirl! I hope you like it as much as I did!

Now I just need to read the book!

1 comment: